Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ham Radio Go Box


I have a General class ham radio license, but my house isn't configured to conveniently operate my radios indoors, and I can't install permanent antennas in my backyard. So I built a Go Box. It's a Gator Case with an Alinco DM-330MV power supply, an ICOM IC-7000 radio with an LDG IT-100 tuner (for long distance HF contacts), and a Yaesu FT-2900 2 meter radio (for local VHF contacts). I have a little more work to do on it - I'll install power cords with Anderson PowerPole connectors - but the box is operational. This weekend I set up a temporary HF antenna (10 meter dipole on a 12-foot mast) on the backyard lawn, with a 2 meter mobile antenna set on the air conditioning condenser. I placed the Go Box on the patio table. In two minutes I had the coaxial cables connected and the power supply plugged in, and I was on the air. I worked the ten meter band, which was wide open, making contacts in Poland, Venezuela, Japan, Michigan, Wisconsin, and St. Lucia. I tried to make a contact in Volcan, Panama (I've been there, twice) but the signal just faded away. For local operations, I listened to nearby repeaters but made no contacts.

I'll buy some batteries to operate away from the house.

I noticed beer tastes a bit better when I'm making DX contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment