Monday, March 5, 2012

Marcha de la Reforma 2010

On May Day 2010 I went to the Capitol in Sacramento to see a march in support of amnesty for illegal immigrants. (The organizers termed it differently.) Similar events were being held in other cities.


I'm hazy on the specific history, but Arizona had recently passed a law that the marchers were especially displeased about. In any case, the weather could not have been better for a stroll around the Capitol grounds.


I myself was especially displeased about the display of the Mexican flag in this march supporting amnesty and open borders. Mexico not only has strong immigration laws, it actually enforces them. How intolerant!


Whole families came along for the march.


The marchers absolutely loved the police horses. I took this video of marchers gathering around the horses for a photo.


Here's a question for those who want to deport every illegal immigrant. Let's suppose the parents in this family came to the United States illegally, and their children were born here. Are you going to demand the deportation of the parents, meaning their children must also leave?


What about this girl, she has to leave?


Remember, arguments are often won by emotion not reason, and there are a bazillion photos out there that tug the heart strings far more than the two above.

Also, while I'm not going to cover the entire issue of illegal immigration in this short post, I want to note that the matter is very complex, and calling for total amnesty or total deportations isn't the solution.

The march continued...






As I prepared to depart, I saw these three wannabees who had tagged along on the march. They seemed so desperate for acceptance, but the rest of the marchers ignored them. As for the man with the red and black Zapatista Army of National Liberation flag, I doubt he has ever gone to Chiapas and put himself in any serious danger in support of this obscure group. These three men were worse than irrelevant, they simply bored me.

No comments:

Post a Comment