Sunday, March 17, 2013

First Hike of the Year on Euchre Bar Trail


Normally Euchre Bar Trail is my first good hike of the year, done when my legs are out of shape, and following the 1.25 mile walk with its 1,800ft elevation gain out of the canyon, I feel it in the leg muscles the next day. But today's hike was different. I could have walked back to the truck without stopping had I wanted - and at a good pace. Three reasons: 1) I've hiked Stevens Trail several times these past weeks, so my leg muscles are in shape; 2) I was well hydrated; and 3) I used a new Osprey pack that put the weight on my hips. My Jansport pack put the weight on my shoulders. Also, the Osprey pack sat close to my back. The difference in the weight distribution was noticable, making for a much more pleasant hike.

Today's hike was just exploratory, no gold pan brought along, I wanted to check the river level. More hikes to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment